I’m continuing the 30 Day Blogging Challenge with 10 facts about me.The assignment was actually 20 so you’ll get the other 10 on another day. It’s a pretty random assortment however, you’ll know me a little better when we’re done. What do we have in common? Let me know in the comments.
1. I’m a crazy plant lady. I’m starting slow though. I’ve just branched out from immortal succulents to a lucky bamboo and I’m on my second money tree but I fantasize about a house full of greenery. But we’ll see how far my family will let me go.
2. I’m a total softie. I’ve cried at just about every Disney movie (and every time we enter Disneyland). When the troops surprise their kids at graduation, I lose it. When my kids graduate, I’ll lose it. The national anthem makes me cry. Stories of people overcoming adversity make me cry. It’s said that tears are just your heart overflowing so I like to believe that my heart is always really close to full.
3. I’m missing the “girl gene.” I hate shopping, and I can care less about shoes and purses. My makeup use is limited to lipstick only because I have really pale lips. I’m not really a tomboy but just not a girlie girl.
4. I was a surrogate mother twice. I was actually inspired by Phoebe on Friends but it was something I’d wanted to do for a long time. I used an agency (I can refer you if you are looking for one) which I strongly recommend to preserve your rights. I delivered twins in 2006 and a singleton in 2010. It was an amazing experience getting to help other couples build their families.
5. I love music. Absolutely all kinds of music. I blame my mother. When I was growing up, she had the radio on on Saturday mornings while she cleaned the house. But every Saturday, it was a different radio station. I heard rock, country, R&B, hip hop, classical, rap, you name it. So in college I took a music appreciation class thinking it would be an easy A. It was and….
6. I ended up working in production at a jazz record label as a result. I fell in love with the instructor. Not romantically; just the way he taught. He was the head of the recording arts department so I went for a second degree (my first was in business and accounting). After I graduated I started working for Concord Records. After a year, I moved with the label to Southern California but I was a single mom of a toddler at the time so I moved back home a few months later.
7. I lost 35 pounds two years ago and learned that I actually like running. I was always one of those people who said that if I was runnung, you should run too because something was chasing me. I was a darn good walker though. I’ve done the Komen 3 Day, a few 5Ks; walking was nothing. But somehow, when I wasn’t looking, I ballooned up to 162 lbs. I didn’t notice until we got some family pictures back. I’ll tell you the whole story in a more lengthy post.
8. I am an anti-pack rat. I get a sick pleasure from getting rid of stuff. If it still has life in it, I’d rather give it away because I’d love to see someone else get some use from it rather than it clutter up our home. I love watching Hoarders. As I watch it, my eyes start darting around the room looking for what’s going next. That said, I never get rid of my family member’s things, partly out of respect to them, partly because that’s not my responsibility.
9. I’m short. 5′ 1″ to be exact. My 16 year old son is taller than me (one of his hobbies is resting his chin on my head) and my 12 year old daughter will pass me any minute. I’ve accepted this and I just deal with it. I sit lotus style almost all the time because otherwise my feet dangle then fall asleep. The struggle is real.
10. I an literally a redheaded stepchild. My parents divorced when I was 25 and remarried shortly after. I have naturally red (OK auburn) hair so I laugh every time I hear the expression.